Re: gnome app pages (was confusingly Gnome Software Map)

<quote who="Gezim Hoxha">

- authoritative
by this i mean it will be the hopefully best maintained and relevant
info source on an application relevant to gnome. People will of course
be free to create an "official" website for their app, and publish it as
they see fit. Yet, the wgo app pages would appear in a more-or-less
uniform fashion, with some established guidelines.

OK. With this, I disagree. We're basically wanting developers and/or
volunteers to duplicate the information they have about the project.

The URL can be canonical, but there's no point having two pages about a
project. Going to the 'rhythmbox' URL on gnome.org [1] can simply redirect
to the main rhythmbox web page. Hopefully they can implement similar things
to the gnome.org pages (such as using DOAP for common data and structure),
but it's all up to them. Like I said a few emails back, using gnome.org has
to be made attractive for project maintainers - we can't just enforce it.

So, authoritative/canonical -> no. But useful and reliable (as URLs that
display or redirect to project pages) -> yes.

[1] note that I am not writing the URL, because that's an implementation
detail that we should determine from the design goals.

And this maybe a little off-topic, but why can't we have a "Wanted"
section in projects' homepage and tell the general public what we need
that we don't have right now. E.g.:

If we can integrate useful information from our various sources for these
pages [1], that's great. But there are all kinds of things we can do about
this - first, we should design and ship something that is useful. Then we
can add stuff.

[1] and in doing so, provide the infrastructure for other project pages not
hosted on gnome.org to use this information (such as rhythmbox aggregating
wishlist bugs confirmed by the maintainer - similar to what you're talking
about with 'wanted' information).

- Jeff

            ...                           *bounce*bounce*bounce*