Re: GNOME tour?

On 5/21/05, Luis Villa <luis villa gmail com> wrote:
On 5/21/05, Chris Deigan <chris deigan id au> wrote:
quote("Luis Villa");
For the liveCD, I'd like to use Theora, but probably flash or even
still/simple screenshots makes sense for the web.

Flash is arse. It's non-free, doesn't run on various architectures
(well, the macromedia player that actually plays anything in this
century doesn't) and is, well, arse.

What would be awesome, however, is to annodex a bunch of demo vids in
theora and create an Annodex web from it. You could have one long video
demonstrating programs fairly briefly with a link to a more detailed
videos for specific applications, or all sorts of other whacky stuff.

http://annodex.net/

Annodex would actually be pretty awesome for the liveCD- thanks for
the suggestion. Looks like content creation, for our purposes,
wouldn't be particularly more difficult than the other proposed
formats, though the lack of a standalone player might be a little bit
of a PITA (I'm not terribly excited about having a browser frame
around all the demos on the CD.)

Oh, and the firefox-specificness of the plugin (AFAICS) is probably
also a problem.

Luis

On the website, thought, we're not talking about marketing to people
who are free software purists or who are on obscure platforms- we're
talking about marketing to people who are fairly mainstream* and
looking for alternatives. Those people *all* have flash installed. So
asking them to install Yet Another Plugin to view something whose
value they are ambivalent about in the first place doesn't make sense.
I'm not a big fan of non-free either, but if I can create it in Free
tools (which I can) and if I can view it in non-free tools (which I
can, albeit that's not the common way) then I'm not going to ask
people *who I'm trying to sell to* to jump through extra hoops. [I
wouldn't object to doing a basic tour in flash, and having the same
super-tour that is on the CD also available on the web, with a link to
the plugin.]

Luis

* some examples we could be targetting:
 university students who have heard about this linux thing
 ISVs thinking about porting to Linux (which means windows and mac
users, basically)
 marketing folks from our distro partners (who in most cases have
flash installed, even if they are using linux)