Re: Another online survey

<quote who="Steve George">

My view would be that the way to get distributions to add or change their
default desktop is to get end-users giving them feedback that they want
GNOME.

Yeah, and I'd add ISVs (and not necessarily proprietary ones).

An alternative strategy would be to try and make inclusion less important.
The old ximian packaging was extremely successful at bypassing the
distribution entirely.  Consequently, having an end-user binary
installation of the latest and greatest would enable you to remove the
distribution blockage.

I think that the third way would be best because it has positive messages,
makes GNOME more of a product (which is easier to market) and improves
end-user touchpoints.

It's a losing battle though - the most successful desktop distros are the
ones doing really impressive top-to-bottom integration. A "bolt-on" GNOME
like we had with Helix/Ximian Desktop won't be able to compete anymore.

What we *can* do is make "GNOME" a feature. I can tell you that deep GNOME
integration will be an important aspect of Ubuntu's ISV strategy - in this
case, Ubuntu will be pushing a GNOME line that GNOME hasn't even started
pushing yet. :-)

Now *that's* how to make our distributors work for us. :-)

- Jeff

--
GUADEC 2005: May 29th-31st                           http://2005.guadec.org/

    Snow Crash was a terrible book: Superheroes wear their underpants on
           the outside, not for two weeks without changing them.