Re: Actions

Hi,

Glynn Foster a écrit :
Can we get some concensus behind a few outstanding points for overall strategy?

1) Main target audiences: Existing GNU/Linux users, public administration (both of these are huge and growing markets - they may even be too wide)
2) Main selling point: Ease of use

Hrm, what about universities?

Do you mean students (which would kind of fit into a potential contributor target audience (1)) or IT department heads (which would pretty well fit into the public administration target audience (2))? Of course there are special points to address with university IT departments. Often they are interested not just in costs, but in relevancy. So we would need to show (at the stage where we start sending people to do presentations and demos) that GNOME can provide the framework they can use for courses, and can provide the type of experience that students will need in the marketplace.

When I said "existing GNU/Linux users", I actually meant potential contributors - which is more broad than "early adopters".

Better still, it would be nice if we
could get some GTK+ programming courses up and running [could people be
coaxed with C#, C++ or Java bindings?]

It's not my place to decide, but I am of the opinion that colleges should be toolkit and platform agnostic, and should teach neither windows or GTK+ programming.

As for the list, I think it would be helpful if someone could flesh out
those bullet points a little bit more - then you might get more people
volunteering for tasks.

Which bullet points?

The stuff in the list was a list of things which we have had discussions about on the list. They didn't quite come out of the blue :) I suspect they all have at least one wiki page already :)

Cheers,
Dave.

--
David Neary