Re: Software Freedom Day

Hi,

Simos Xenitellis a écrit :
In addition, the OpenCD will be available, which has cross-platform applications based on GNOME technologies.

A task would be to inform the end-users that they are using software based on GNOME technologies. * Perhaps rework the About dialog menu to show prominently that the app is based on GNOME technologies. * Do application branding around the idea "Based on GNOME technologies", "GNOME Inside" (hmm), or a logo with a foot, the word Inside, in a cirlce.

In brainstorming during board and marketing sessions at GUADEC, we came up with the idea of GNOME certification - things would "earn" a GNOME certification level by playing nice with GNOME.

Level 1 could be using common desktop standards like the notification area, drag & drop, thumbnailing standards. Level 2 could be use of the GTK+ toolkit. HIG compliance would be another level, using GConf and other GNOME platform technologies another, and so on.

Once you're at level 4 or 5 (using GNOME technologies, respecting GNOME visual guidelines and the HIG), you *are* a GNOME app (de facto), regardless of whether you're part of the platform or not.

The idea will take off, or not, withing the next month. Federico is going to draw up a rough list of what we consider the various levels of certification (while trying to focus on user visible function rather than back-end technology),and from there we'll start working towards launching the idea.

Software on the OpenCD should all have certifications of 2 or 3, I think, which means that we're already pretty GNOMEy. It's definitely a strategy that we should exploit, that GNOME applications are often available on Windows.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
David Neary