Re: Getting involved through the website

Hi,

Quim Gil a écrit :
Since WebImprovements would be too broad and would clash with the work
of the GNOME Webhackers, I've gone for something more specific:

Please don't be too afraid of stepping on the toes of the GNOME web hackers. Typically, websites like ours are maintained by people more concerned with infrastructure (is the web server running OK? Do we need to upgrade Apache module X?) rather than the look, feel and content of the site. Often, changes are as small as "Add a link to new press release".

So if you (or others) have the will, the time and the ability to take a big axe to the GNOME website, please feel free to do so. One of the things which I would like to do (and which was discussed at the board during GUADEC) is to transfer control of the content of the site to the marketing team, and leave the infrastructure under the control of the sysadmins & web team.

One thing the project is in need of is more artists.

(...)

For some reason few people seems interested in contributing directly
to that.

For some reason http://art.gnome.org/ is not asking for help, and nor
does http://gnome-look.org/ . You land on these sites and you see
hundreds of icons, screenshots, splash screens... You need to be a
medium or a woman to guess that the GNOME project needs designers.  :)

You're absolutely right. There are artists around the GNOME and the GIMP, but for the moment, they are not being organised and directed.

art.gnome.org could fulfill that function, but right now it's a contrib site for desktop stuff, not a database of artists prepared to work on GNOME's visual image. Plus, when you start talking about visual image, it's very important to have a coherent vision, which isn't really conducive to having dozens of artists... it's difficult to find a balance between too many artists and too few working on the visual identity of the project.

Right now we have too few :)

Cheers,
Dave.

--