Re: Friends-of-GNOME database [Re: Modifying GNOME-About to count users]

On 7/13/05, Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> wrote:
I'm not really sure how it would handle event attendance .. maybe
that somehow fits into the "activity log".

It is in their feature list, but I admit I haven't looked into that
aspect at all.

Then there is the question of whether the foundation member database
is the same thing or different... I guess you could imagine just
entering foundation members into the contact database and adding
a custom "is foundation member" field.

that is what I'd presumed. The CRM stuff seems to have the capability
to do this trivially.

Do we have a requirements
list for the foundation member database?

No formal one that I've seen. The big wishlist bit would be
integration with a voting system, which AFAICS is one thing that
civicspace would not offer us.

[ It doesn't look like the CivicCRM relationship to the rest of
  Drupal is strong ... basically Drupal seems to just be used
  as the user database.

In fact I believe I saw that their roadmap indicates a plan to offer a
version which does not depend on Drupal.

I think, like live.gnome.org or bugzilla, we'd want to try to keep this
pretty well isolated from the rest of gnomeweb ... different login
user different database password, etc. We could reuse the 'gnomeweb'
group for granting sudo access to the user, however.

Agreed.

The reason I'm advocating that, is just general distrust of
the security of big piles of web code, and perhaps a bit more of
PHP code. (there was a recent remote-code execution vulnerability that
affected one of the dependencies of drupal:
http://lwn.net/Vulnerabilities/142274/)

seems totally sane.

luis