Re: real marketing or just catchy slogans?

You are absolutely right. That's what i am always saying. We need
GNOME out there. Either we should make out own distribution or ...

for the love of god, no  :)

creating and maintaining and supporting a distro is an enourmous task,
and we don't have the resources for that (nor we want to use them in
something that isn't our "job").

i even think we shouldn't have our own live cd... why encourage people
to test-drive something they can't get?  that qualifies as a false
promise too, and we want to avoid those, don't we?

if we encourage people to try something, we should drive them to
real-life products (like ubuntu and fedora core), not synthetic
creations that only exist in our minds.

Yes and no. I agree that running the Gnome Live CD will give them the
feel of Gnome, but technically, what they're trying is Ubuntu (plus some
hacks), not "Gnome".

because ideal-abstract-gnome doesn't exist in real life, at least not
as an end user product.  and we should be ok with that; believing
we're an end user product might trigger crazy ideas like creating and
supporting our very own distro  :)

--
Santiago Roza
Departamento I+D - Thymbra