Re: real marketing or just catchy slogans?

Hi,

Murray Cumming wrote:
in other words, i'd like to see more marketing, and less
selling/advertising...

The selling/advertising does not stop you from doing marketing. Should we
stop going to trade fairs, close down our website, and stop announcing
releases while we wait for the traditional marketing to reach step one?

I agree with Santiago.

Going to trade fairs, running a website and announcing releases are essential, of course. Suggesting that Santiago was saying otherwise is absurd.

But this is perhaps the 3rd or 4th time we've had the slogan discussion over the past year. The only possible benefit of having it again is to get new people onto the list.

What we need now is follow-through. Something which gets momentum, has posters and banners and community buy-in. Andreas created a bunch of really good posters - have we really done all we can to push them, and to get the slogans he used into the public consciousness?

The target market discussion is another one which we've had at least 3 times. I'm pretty clear on what our target markets should be:

For the desktop:
 - Public administrations - schools, governments, councils.
 - Distributions
 - Early adopter momentum users

For the platform:
 - Third party developers

For applications:
 - Hobbyist windows users

Why only early adopters? Because aiming for a mainstream desktop market isn't acting our age. Because the mainstream will adopt Linux, not GNOME, and GNOME will just come along for the ride (see: Distributions and third party developers). And the mainstream isn't yet adopting linux on the desktop, so focussing energy there is a waste of our time.

Why public administrations? Because we have a track record. Because there are decision makers in your town thinking about migrating to free software and Linux right now, because everyone's doing it. And you're there. And you can help them.

Why hobbyist windows users? Because they install software off cover CDs to try it out, but they're not going to install a full OS. Because we can show someone the GIMP, Abiword, Gnumeric, OOo, Firefox, gaim and a gaggle of other applications, and get them used to the idea that free software is great. And once they're more or less running a GNOME desktop on Windows, it's an easy(ier?) sell to get them to switch to a GNOME desktop on Linux.

There's one group that I think we should be focussed on too, which isn't in that list - and that's non-profit organisations outside the tech industry. There are thousands, it's a niche, and we could fit the niche well. But I really don't know how we can penetrate there.

What we need, then, isn't another discussion to decide what our target markets are, it's answers to the following questions for each of those target markets.

 - What do we have to offer?
 - What are we missing?
 - What are we doing to fill the gaps?
 - What could we be doing that we're not?
 - How can we get at the people involved?

Getting at relevant people is all about communication, but that communication has to be 2-way, otherwise we never have an answer to the second question.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
David Neary