Re: real marketing or just catchy slogans?

Consensus might not be desirable for the marketing team. On some things,
sure - but we will need people acting as individuals, with all their
quirks, as long as we're on the same page and all working.

i meant consensus on objectives, basic strategy, and a couple more
things, not killing everyone's criterion  :)

Roughly designated target markets exist already. While you don't think
there's a huge concensus around these, I disagree.

yes we know there are many possible segments, but we haven't agreed on
which ones to focus on.

Grand. What would you like to do, then?

all those things i wrote in my first email and their followups;
basically changing our focus from advertising to real marketing.

but again, i can't do that alone, since i like to see this as a team.
there's no point in me working on a marketing strategy, if the rest of
the team thinks that's a minor detail we shouldn't be wasting time
with, while there are much more important things like advertising
gnome (no matter gnome's positioning) to "the people" (no matter who
the people are), ignoring external users' feedback because those are
just meaningless gripes  :)

What do you want out of the GNOME marketing team? What are you doing to
get towards that goal?

i want us to be the ones who collect users' feedback, process it, pass
it to developers in effective ways, and restart the process with each
release.

and of course, the ones who analyse gnome's strenghts and weaknesses
(either real or perceived) in relation to users' needs, and design a
brand strategy based on that.  then we can design a comunicational
strategy, in order to "advertise" effectively (and with a sound
basis).

what i am doing towards that goal?  well first i'm trying to get as
many of us as possible behind my proposal, and then i guess i could be
contributing with most of those tasks.

--
Santiago Roza
Departamento I+D - Thymbra