Re: Poster templates (request for comments)

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 16:51:13 +0100
David Neary <bolsh gimp org> wrote:

Hi,

I'm no artist, but I wanted to try and come up with a usable
template for a poster or two while I have the chance (I have a
couple of days off work before Christmas).

The theme would be to focus on places where GNOME is used in poor
communities and schools, showing the human face of GNOME as well
as the community aspect of the project.

The top bit I'm not happy with - the "X chose GNOME" or "X
chooses GNOME", but I have no had luck with a better way of
saying it.

I'm also slightly unhappy with the layout, but I'm hoping
Sebastien can come up with something better based on this :)

There are two templates - one with a simple
slogan/graphic/"software for everyone", and a second one with
space for a few paragraphs of text.

I did them in Inkscape, which doesn't have things like text boxes
or columns of text in boxes, simply because using scribus here on
my wee computer is impossible.

Any ideas for improving the overall balance of the posters, and
perhaps suggestions of the types of texts we should put in them?

I like the idea of having a template with a good core idea and
layout - it will give us a low-effort way to get a number of
different posters, as well as allowing local user groups to focus
more on stories and deployments which suit the region best.

Hi, Dave.

I like the template idea, as well as the idea to show the human face.

Let me just point out three issues.

First, getting appropriate images could turn to a complicated problem. I
don't know what you used in the drafts - I got an broken image here.

What sort of images do you think of ?

Second, posters smaller than DIN A3 usually look unprofessional. I
guess, you'd like the templates to be used locally. Is the ability to
print larger than DIN A4 available in most parts of the world ?

Third, long texts (everythink beyond a short paragraph) is seldomly
read on posters of single page ads. If one can't read it in a second,
most people don't do it.

As an alternative to the latter two, I'd like to suggest to use double
folded landscape DIN A4 (or the local format) flyers as a "Give-away" at
meetings, presentations, etc. These can be printed an a standard
printer, folded within a few hours, and their texts are more likely to
get read because that's something people can grap with their hands.

Cheers,

Claus