Re: Slogans & visuals revisited

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 12:33:19 +0100
David Neary <dneary free fr> wrote:

Hi all,

So I really liked Sebastien's visuals (as usual) for the GNOME
posters, and I had a few more ideas for slogans (see the
MarketingMaterial page in the wiki), but I think what we could do
with is a quick brainstorming session for combining the two.

What do people think about setting up an IRC meeting for
marketing this week to discuss this, and get some concrete,
finished marketing materials we can use? Sebastien is in Brazil,
and Sri's in India, which gives us a 10 hour timezone spread (up
to 16 hours if Jeff wants to join in). When's a good time for
everyone, if one exists?

Do people even think this would be useful?

I think, brainstorming is nice to generate ideas, but less useful for
making decisions. Oh, and which IRC channel will be used?

I also like to suggest two additional poster "styles" althougth I'm not
a gimp wizard, and they are not as good as Sebastian's.

IMHO, the image for [2] is (nearly) perfect for us because of the way
she looks - basically she could be thinking anything that we'd like a
satiesfied "customer" to think about GNOME.

However, one disadvantage is the price: Last time I looked, it was $60
but they restructered their website afterwards so I'm not sure if that's
still the case.

The second disadvantage is that I had to 'hack' a little bit to get the
logo in. Maybe someone else got a better idea.

As an alternative, [1] might do a similar job. The image is made by
Jimmac and used here without his permission. I just hope, I don't get
suited by him. *Please, don't*

Basically every outdoor widescale picture with sufficient resolution
would do. It's similar to the existing web page style, and might also
work in black'n'white.

And it's nice to use a new image every year, maybe for GUADEC... The
style could also be used to make a sort of public contest for
photographers.

I wanted to show these drafts, because I think images/pictures matter
more than slogans, or detailed discriptions about technical advantages.

Another obvious disadvantage of both suggestions is the cost of
printing, and the need to distribute it somehow, maybe in
Stuttgart. Might be nice to get some feedback if that would be possible.

Ehm, and due to obvious reasons, I'll remove [2] tomorrow.

Regards,

Claus

[1] http://clausi.cl.funpic.de/image1.html
[2] http://clausi.cl.funpic.de/image2.html