Re: [Ekiga-list] Some new queries

On 03/11/15 17:21, Bret Busby wrote:
Hello.

I note that, in searching for people, using the ekiga.net directory, the
only information shown, for people found (and, from memory, it is the
only information that can be entered about the person, when setting up
an ekiga account), is the person's name as entered (I did find a few
Fred Flintstone's, so I assume that some people are using aliases for
their names), and, the sip address.

I saw on the ekiga web site (the .org one), information that a
super-dooper new version of ekiga is being developed; version 5, as
mentioned at http://ekiga.org/news/2015-03-08/ekiga-5.0-next-big-thing .

That web page does not (I believe) include reference to the prospect of
additional personal information being included and retrieved, so, my
first question is thus; do the plans for ekiga v5, include the prosepct
of expanded personal information - user profiles - so as to include
useful information such as location - locality and state/province and
country, with timezone; eg UTC+xxxx (here in Western Australia, for
example, we are UTC+0800), and preferred language for communication?

These can be useful items of information, for determining whether to try
to contact an unknown person, and, if a user decides it is worthwhile to
try to contact an unknown person, what the time difference is likely to
be, and therefore, a likely reasonable time to try to contact the other
person. The timezones can also be useful, for when a user forgets the
time differences for people with whom the user havs previously been in
contact.

This kind of nformation, was part of the information that was available
to be included (not required to be included, but, could be included, if
a user was willing), and, thence, could be retrieved in examining a
person's prifile, in the usable version of skype; v2.2, before microsoft
sabotaged skype.

I believe that skype 2.2 also included, in the personal profiles,
provision for such information as age and birthdays, etc.

I worked a bit on that 2-3 years ago. Currently, nothing has changed in that area. I do not have any opinion on this feature. During Ekiga.net rework, we could take this into account. Again, if Damien does not aswer in 1-2 days, create a bug report.

Also, in noting that ekiga is available for Linux, and "NetBSD, OpenBSD,
OpenSolaris and other Unix-like systems.", and, for MS Windows, does
ekiga run on tablet PC's, including Windows Tablets, like the MS Surface
ones, and, on android tablet PC's? I understand that the android OS is
said to be Linux-based.

Well, it does not work there, I will update this text.