From: ekiga-list [mailto:ekiga-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of Eugen
Dedu
Sent: Friday, May 17, 2013 12:37 PM
To: Ekiga mailing list
Subject: Re: [Ekiga-list] Ekiga rings, but no buttons or menu items let me
answer the call

On 17/05/13 20:53, Stuart D Gathman wrote:
On 05/17/2013 12:34 PM, Greg Ferber expounded in part:

This has happened to me several times recently. Ekiga is connected, I
can place calls if so desired, and someone calls me. I get the
ringing sound, but none of the buttons or menu entries will let me
pick up the call.

Windows 7 x64, Ekiga 4.0.1, using SIP (specifically SimpleSignal
service, which uses BroadSoft, in case that matters)

Any clues?

Heh. This is a big problem. I thought Windows was supposed to pop up
the call window instead of using notifiers? On unix desktops with
notifiers,

Indeed, it is strange that the call window is not automatically shown on
Windows.

Isn't the call window shown?  Is it never shown or only sometimes?

ekiga pops up a notifier with Accept and Reject buttons.
Unfortunately,
2 out of 4 desktop systems tested have broken notifiers, so that you
can't answer calls on those desktops either. Working desktops so far
in Fedora are gnome-shell and mate (cinnamon and gnome-fallback are
broken).

I've been campaigning for the developers to make always using the Call
window a config option, instead of relying the desktop environment to
tell the truth about whether buttons on notifiers are supported
(cinnamon lies) and assuming they actually work.

You are not alone, I have compaigned too, but I was told that the
notification is better visually :)  Maybe we can add a command line switch,
or a gconf (!) key for that?

It is good to try to support notifiers by default, since that is more
elegant, and integrated with the desktop. But being able to fall back
to the call window without recompiling would be great.

It is supposed to fallback.  If it does not happen, the problem is surely in
notification implementation, not in ekiga.