Re: [Ekiga-list] Ekiga rings, but no buttons or menu items let me answer the call

On 05/17/2013 12:34 PM, Greg Ferber expounded in part:

This has happened to me several times recently.  Ekiga is connected, I can place calls if so desired, and someone calls me.  I get the ringing sound, but none of the buttons or menu entries will let me pick up the call.

Windows 7 x64, Ekiga 4.0.1, using SIP (specifically SimpleSignal service, which uses BroadSoft, in case that matters)

Any clues?

Heh.  This is a big problem.  I thought Windows was supposed to pop up the call window instead of using notifiers?  On unix desktops with notifiers, ekiga pops up a notifier with Accept and Reject buttons.  Unfortunately, 2 out of 4 desktop systems tested have broken notifiers, so that you can't answer calls on those desktops either.  Working desktops so far in Fedora are gnome-shell and mate (cinnamon and gnome-fallback are broken).

I've been campaigning for the developers to make always using the Call window a config option, instead of relying the desktop environment to tell the truth about whether buttons on notifiers are supported (cinnamon lies) and assuming they actually work.

It is good to try to support notifiers by default, since that is more elegant, and integrated with the desktop.  But being able to fall back to the call window without recompiling would be great.