Re: [Ekiga-list] Ekiga ease of use? What am I missing? (fred k)

Do you mean you want encrypted VoIP application, encryption plugin,
or something like SIP-ssl which your partner can handle easily?

short answer, encryption is not as important to either of us(in this
case) as is having  a semi reliable FOSS alternative that is
cross-platform, easy enough for me to walk her through the steps to
get going, and have some of the functionality of $kype I have not
found that in any of the Open Source alternatives, Twinkle, Ekiga,
Jitsi, Linphone...
My understanding of SIP is very limited but as a dedicated "man page"
reader I try.
So my concern is more about usability for my windowz :-( using wife,
for this situation encryption is not a necessity although nice. The
ability to so easily share our desktops, look at pics, vids and links
together really made the communications so much more meaningful and
fulfilling , interacting in such a manner really helped put some of
the other stuff(life, dealing with a deadly cancer for the second time
in her 30's) in the background, at least for a bit, since we were not
focusing on financial, health, etc issues for that time and just
enjoying being able to really feel closer, laugh together while
looking something via the shared DT function.  **It was healing.**
   What I do know is that knowing that $kype is just a fancy,
functional malware/trojan was a very sad thing for us both and it is
very hard for either of us to bring ourselves to even use it anymore
even though time is so potentially limited.  We try, and it just about
makes us sick to our stomach to compromise our beliefs.
I know I am rambling on but this has been heartbreaking and stressful
on top of everything else.
I am willing and able to read and experiment and look for help all day
but she can not, in a technical sense, as well as
physical/psychological sense.

I guess I am less concerned that mallory will snoop on traffic, THE
issue is M$ does not give a fuck and it makes me sick to HAVE to use a
M$ product since it really is the only means for a tech illiterate
person to get up and running. The last thing someone like my wife
needs is to have to decide to use malware to communicate, or go to bed
each night feeling like a slimy used whore.  M$, $kype and the
N$A_ssholes are the pimps in this analogy.
 I can log on to SR and get a key of H delivered to my door in less
time than it takes to get a handle on all of these many(too many) OS
VoIP & SIP options.
Easy answer for me in any other situation but this is different and I
don't see her able to get any of the current Open Source alts working.
sorry so long