Re: [Ekiga-list] Ekiga ease of use? What am I missing?

On 29/08/13 15:27, That Guy wrote:

Hello, first timer here, sorry so long, any help would be greatly
appreciated!

Help!  Honestly, I really need some help getting a Skype replacement
up and running. I have tried and tried but nothing.  I am limited in
the sense that I use *nix and my sick wife who is overseas getting
Chemo uses M$ and is not at all technical and I'm not too much better
and pretty much useless on a Windows "OS".  Skype just works and that
is why a 100 million people still allow M$ to benefit from letting the
Tyrants in the USSA Govt spy on them.  Spying on a conversation
between a husband and a wife who had to leave the states alone to
receive treatment for Lymphoma cant have a talk in private.  You woman
out there, how would you feel if you had cancer and no hair,
eye-brows, eyelashes, etc., and all alone in a very foreign land and
you try skype and it changed so much being able to communicate and
share files and desktops so easily, only to find out that Microsoft
and the USSA Govt were 100% spying on your single most personal and
intimate conversations.  I can picture some ass-hat NSA JBT Tyrant
laughing and calling his buddies over to "take a look at the naked
bald dying chick" who is only trying forget all the pain and
uncertainty and insecurity about her appearance.  I am so angry but if
I had ever been able to get any other video/voip software up and
running reliably for us both I think much of that anger would be gone
or changed to motivation to help make changes but right now I just
want to see the woman I love who may not live to see 40 years old.
Thank you
kyle
grep gmx us
PS. I'm no expert, no idiot either(I teach PGP/GPG, Bash, intro to
*nix, & FDE to beginners) but that is what I have felt like, a total
idiot, in my inability to get a single Open Source replacement up &
running. What am I missing?

You are right that skype just works, and this is a big win. Ekiga in some cases does not work, either because some structural limitations, or because of bugs. We are trying to fix the latter ones.

If you wish help, just tell what you have tried and what does not work.