Re: [Ekiga-list] Difficulties getting started with Ekiga

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Ken Resander <kresander yahoo com> wrote:
> As I told you, you cannot call reliably a computer in the same network
> using ...@ekiga.net.
>
> RESPONSE: I don't understand why this is not possible. If it is never going to be possible, what is the work round?

It's a very complex topic. First of all, when you make a call to
...@ekiga.net, Ekiga uses the public IP of your LAN to set up the
connection; the same goes for incoming calls. Assuming there are no
NAT issues, you end up with a call where both parties send their audio
to the public IP of the router. The problem is that most routers do
not loopback LAN traffic sent to it's public IP (ie. the public IP is
essentially unreachable from the LAN), and you get no audio.

There are solutions for this, but that needs changes both to Ekiga
code and ekiga.net configuration. A workaround would be to set up an
outbound SIP proxy on the LAN, which would detect LAN-LAN calls and
rewrite SIP packets/fork when necessary.

Cheers
--
Ian