[Ekiga-list] Problem with online/offline status

I am experiencing some inconsistent behaviour with Ekiga 3.9.90 on Debian Sid, regarding its text chat functionality. I think the other person is using Ekiga 3.3.2, because that person is using Ubuntu 12.04.

The following happens: We both appear to the other to be online in our respective contact lists. The other person can write a message to me which will then appear in my Ekiga. However, even though the other person is listed as being online in my contact list, when I reply to that message, an error message appears in the chat saying that the other user is not online...

Best regards
Torquil Sørensen