Re: [Ekiga-list] Video conference with more than 2 parties

Dear all,

sorry for this late answer.
I use ekiga as Video Conferencing client.
To clarify the VC trouble, it is important to know what is really VC.
There are different tools :
  • web conferencing ones (OpenMeeting for exemple)
  • light VC systems (using PC or softphone clients)
  • VC systems like Tandberg or Polycom systems allowing external client to use these VC facilities (mostly using H323 protocol)
All solutions use a server and clients
Ekiga is only a client and doesn't have embedded VC facilities

Server is necessary to aggregate all incoming audio/video streams to send the resulting stream to all clients.

For my academic research  and R&D projects, I use with my partners an Asterisk PBX based solution. It is then necessary to setup an external application like app_konference.
It is also possible to use freeswitch PBX that have native VC module.

Ekiga is fully compatible with Polycom and Tandberg solutions (using H323 or SIP). When using SIP there is a trouble with Polycom solution : bridge is not initialized by any SIP client and a least one client must use H323 protocol (tested with different Polycom solutions).

Hope this helps.
Don't hesitate to contact me for further explanation. VC is my resarch domain and I use ekiga as preferred client.

Best regards