Re: [Ekiga-list] Poor Sound

On 23 May, 2011,at 12:24 PM, Ted McCune <computer ted gmail com> wrote:

Running Debian 6, Intel HDA onboard audio, ALSA sound system, Ekiga3.2.7, Diamondcard SIP account.

When calling phones the person I'm calling says I'm "beeping in and out" and I hear an echo and the sound quality is bad.

Everything works perfectly in Skype on the same machine.

In the advanced settings there are a ton of codecs and I don't understand any of them or how to use them.

Hi Ted,

For the sound issue, the first thing I'd suggest is simply making a call to the Ekiga.net echo test service, and see what the sound quality is like there (e.g. does it echo or cut in/out etc.).

For the audio codecs, I find it easiest to enable PCMU, PCMA,and Speex only for starters.

Cheers,
Dave