Re: [Ekiga-list] ekiga behind two routers

Hello, Damien

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 1:26 PM, Damien Sandras <dsandras seconix com> wrote:
> The problem is that if we do not check for private IP addresses, users will
> be able to call eachother, but RTP trafic will not go through.
>
> That means users will complain of "no audio" problems...
>
> Is that preferable ?

In my opinion it's better to have "no audio" in some cases rather than
not being able to use the service at all. Rejecting private IPs in
Contact header is perfectly reasonable (although the response
shouldn't be 6xx, but I admit that's nitpicking), but a private IP in
Via should be fine.

My reasoning is that if the client lists it's public address in
Contact, then apparently it *is* employing some kind of NAT traversal,
hopefully for RTP as well. Also a private IP in Via allows the server
to work around the tricky case of both users being behind the same NAT
(the server can send a redirect to the private IP).

Thanks,
--
Ian