Re: [Ekiga-list] ekiga behind two routers

On 05/17/11 21:09, Stuart Gathman wrote:
On 05/17/2011 09:04 PM, Mark Smith wrote:
I have an ooma telo connected directly to the internet and a d-link
dir-601 router connected to the ooma telo. I can't get ekiga to work
behind this combination. I have tried port forwarding in the d-link
router and in the ooma telo. Is it possible to get ekiga to work
behind two nat routers and how do you do it?
STUN does not work in this situation - because the STUN is too smart for
its own good (or maybe the S stands for Stupid).  You would think a
broker for a STUN-like protocol would simply pass on the public IP and
ports seen by the broker - but maybe I'm missing something.

You cannot use ekiga.net, because it requires STUN, and also barfs on
private IPs in the SIP trace headers (which I understand is an RFC
violation - it is supposed to ignore them).  Port forwarding on both
routers would work with normal STUN, but fails for ekiga.net because of
the 2nd problem.

I have 2 routers at home to isolate the WAP from the home LAN.  However,
I turn off "network detection" (STUN), and use Ekiga just fine with
aptela.com, and diamondcard.us (ekiga callout).  These service do not
require STUN.

I connect to family and friends by running openvpn - and ekiga works
fine over a VPN.  This also solves the lack of SRTP support in ekiga.
(Your contact has to be connected to your VPN also.)

I think that the ultimate solution is getting (you and your contacts) on
IP6.  Then all the NAT problems go away.