Re: [Ekiga-list] cannot register my sip address

I tried replying a week ago, but I think my reply got lost,
possibly due to the problems the mailing list was having at the
time.

> Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 20:07:33 +0200
> From: Eugen Dedu <Eugen Dedu pu-pm univ-fcomte fr>
>
> On 05/06/11 22:31, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
> > I'm also quite new to Ekiga, but I found one trick to get past
> > the message that it can't register your sip address.  When you
> > run the initial configuration assistant (wizard), on the screen
> > where it asks for your sip account, _DON'T_ enter anything, but
> > check the checkbox that you don't want to register a sip address
> > and go on.  It's not very clear, but it appears that page is for
> > you to register a _new_ address that has never been registered
> > before.  I think I had to also delete my saved configuration in
> > the ~/.gconf/apps/ekiga to get it to let me start over from
> > scratch.  After I got through the configuration assistant, I
> > added the pre-existing sip account through edit ->  accounts or
> > something similar.  Then again, I'm trying to use 3.2.6, so it
> > might be different.
> >
> > (The UI for that part of the configuration assistant could be
> > made more clear...)
>
> Just tell more precisely what cannot be understood.  On ekiga.net page
> in assistant is written "if you have not an account yet, you can create
> one below" etc.

Thank you for the reply.  Ah, yes, there it is, in italics in the
middle lines of a paragraph.  I try to read and follow the
instructions, but I missed it.  I suspect other users might also
miss it.  I would offer a few suggestions for consideration:

    Change the heading of page 3 of 8 to something like "Create
    a New Ekiga.net Account".  The same could be done to the
    heading on page 4 of 8.

    Change the font in the two paragraphs from icalic to normal.
    At last on my monitor, that would make it easier to read.

    Add to the second paragraph so it reads something like this:

        You may skip this step if you already have an ekiga.net
        address, if you you an alternative SIP service, or if you
        would prefer to specify the login details later.

With user interface issues, the key is not simply to make it
possible for the user to understand; the key is to make is
impossible for the user to not understand.

> > Good luck with the network configuration.  I'm still battling
> > that issue myself.  It appears 500 ekiga net is often down,
> > which complicates the issue.  At the moment, I'm am able to
>
> 500 is ok now.
>
> > connect a call, but there's no audio output, even though I am
> > able to hear test plays of wav files.
>
> Send us the -d 4 output, or look yourself into it.

Attaching new gzipped -d 4 output.  When I terminate the call by
using the 'hangup' menu selection, the process appears to get
very large and run into problems.  The 'top' program showed the
ekiga process with a virtual size of about 1.9GB and a resident
size of about 0.9GB.  The (2003-era) machine has 1GB of RAM.
After a while, it asks whether to abort or dump core.  This time,
I tried dumping core to see what that would do.  System load
average shot up above 10, 'vmstat' showed that the machine was
thrashing, and the core file ended up about 1.9GB in size.  I'm
currently trying to use the Ekiga 3.2.6 that came with Mandriva
2010.0.  I looked through the -d 4 output, but I don't know how
to interpret it to tell what the problem might be with the audio.

Thank you,

Robert Riches
rm riches jacob21819 net