Re: [Ekiga-list] Is it possible to show/replicate Address Book addresses to more than one computer?

Long ago, Nostradamus foresaw that on 12/24/2011 11:51 PM, el_gallo_azul would write:

I have been using Skype for a couple of years, reluctantly because it uses a proprietary protocol, but a number of friends already used it and I didn't mind supporting a company that got their act together.

Since Microsoft bought Skype, I now consider it necessary to stop using it, so I spent some time yesterday working out the details for SIP. I use Ubuntu.

I use Ekiga on two computers, and both copies of Ekiga are  installed and registered correctly for both free and paid calls - I registered with Ekiga's preferred supplier and now have credit with sip.diamondcard.us.

I have installed telnaSIP on my mobile phone (after some trial and error with some other applications) and it CAN have two different user accounts, as I need, and it is registered correctly for both free and paid calls.

What I'm not sure about is whether a contact I set up on one account (say, my desktop computer) is then available on my netbook computer, and even more so, on my mobile phone. I have tried opening the Address Book on my netbook and then searching by name for my Auntie Blanche (an Ekiga Call Out number), without success.

1. How can I make a contact available on more than one computer, without creating that contact on each computer?

2. Does my ekiga.net account include my contact addresses, such that my contacts would then be available on telnaSIP?

The only service ekiga.net provides (other than diagnostics like echo server) is a registry where you can find out the current IP of a registrant.  You don't actually need ekiga.net to talk with someone via SIP (e.g. I have family members on an openvpn private VPN, and we just directly connect to the private IP, via private name service - and the call is encrypted as well).

Any other central service, you provide yourself.  (A business opportunity for someone wanting to offer SIP related products.)  For instance, Ekiga supports LDAP.  So if you provide (or find someone to provide for you) an LDAP server, there is your shared address book (except ekiga doesn't support editing via LDAP - that would have to be another app).

There is also the cumbersome and error prone: copy the contacts dir from .gconf/apps/ekiga