Re: [Ekiga-list] ekiga-list Digest, Vol 44, Issue 34

Yannick wrote:

Le lundi 29 mars 2010 ? 10:55 -0500, Ian Murdoch a ?crit :
> Hi Yannick,
>
> I started with Ekiga 3.2.5 in 9.10 Karmic and then updated from your
> ppa to 3.2.6, which proved to be unusable because of defects reported
> in the list by others: voice cut-off immediately after connection -
> freezing after disconnection - etc. Now I have updated to your latest
> patched version and Ekiga is alive again and working well in all
> departments! So this is just a note to thank you for your excellent
> and dedicated work in maintaining Ekiga and for your most generous
> spirit in making your voluntary contributions available to all. Thanks
> indeed.
>
> My best wishes to you and all the team.

Hi,

That's very nice of you :) Speaking about credits, Damien Sandras did a
lot to 3.2.6, and Julien Puydt too (Snark), and Eugen Dedu. Lots of the
work also happen in the OPAL/PTLIB library. Specifically, the last patch
was contributed by one of the main contributor to OPAL trunk (Robert)
all based on a report issued by an Ubuntu user on launchpad; whitout his
valuable report and his pugnacity the patch would not be here (see:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ekiga/+bug/517580 ). Eugen
managed to get it into OPAL for Ubuntu. I just used the patch into my
previous package of 3.2.6 which is not really high tech if you compare
to other people mentionned (mostly copy'n paste). Personnaly I would
congrats the whole team for your good experience. IMHO this is just
another exemple of community based developement.

We are now testing this patch at a moderate scale, before going to the
large scale if everything goes well.

Best regards,
Yannick

Hi Yannick, thanks for your response and all the details. Yes! I am very happy
   to extend my sincere thanks to all the Ekiga team members and especially to
   the persons you mentioned who were the joint authors of this patch. I am very
   grateful to you all for the fine and dedicated work and service you give to us,
   the users of Ekiga.

   Eugen also wrote:

There is however something strange: the patched version allows 3.2.6
only to connect in some cases, so no freeze fix is involved.  Moreover,
there is no change to my knowledge between 3.2.5 and 3.2.6 to explain
the addition of the voice cut-off and disconnection in 3.2.6 release.

Anyway, glad to hear that ekiga works well now!

Eugen

   Hi Eugen, thanks also for your response. You are dead right! When I
   wrote my message, I had only tested the patched version of 3.2.6 with
   the Echo test: 500 ekiga net and everything functioned correctly. But
   now I have made a couple of calls to my contacts. In both cases, on
   disconnection, Ekiga did not close correctly and froze. Also, in the
   second call, Ekiga was cut off after about two minutes of conversation.
   When I tried to re-connect there was no ringing tone, but the screen
   message said that i was connected. But my contact did not respond and
   I was unable to renew the conversation, even after repeated attempts.
   So, 3.2.6 still has problems. I hope my comments are helpful. I am willing
   to help in any way that I can to solve these problems. But I am not a computer
   techie, so do not expect too much of me! The little I know about computer
   entrails has been learned from about three years of fighting with configuration
   and other difficulties in Ubuntu Linux.

   Thank you for your help.
    Best regards to you and Yannick,  Ian Murdoch.