Re: [Ekiga-list] Erratic sound with Ubuntu Karmic

> Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 13:31:50 +0100
> From: Eugen Dedu <Eugen Dedu pu-pm univ-fcomte fr>
>
> My Name wrote:
> > Yes, it appears to be fixed. I had 100% success with echo tests. However, at the moment I can't get the Ekiga UI started. Giving up, uninstalling again.
>
> Sometimes ekiga takes 20-30 seconds to appear, I guess it is because of
> some dns (srv?) lookup. Also check that it has not really started,
> sometimes it starts minimised ("ps ux|grep ekiga" for ex.)

I don't think that's it.  It's not minimized.  An icon does appear in what I think is called the notification area, but there's only a limited menu available from there.  The UI cannot be started from that menu or by any other means I can find.

As Christian Jäger points out, it may be related to the ALSA lock.  When you are trying to get SIP programs to work, killing programs is a common event!  If there is a hung resource that prevents the UI from starting, an error message is needed at the least.