Re: [Ekiga-list] Outbound use with routers and firewalls

> Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 12:53:46 -0400
> From: Christian Jaeger <chrjae gmail com>

> >> A definitive answer for what? Or do you mean you don't have an answer?

> > The question was whether special provision is needed for firewalls and
> > routers, for making outbound calls.? As far as I can tell, the answer is an
> > unequivocal NO.

> AFAIK this is not true, it's more complicated.

> From: ael <law_ence dev ntlworld com>
>
> Absolutely. There are many and various routers out in the wild with
> a wide variety of behaviours.
> 1 user with 1 particular router can't give "an unequivocal NO."
>
> When someone has traced the behaviour with wireshark and the like on several
> routers, and read & understood the relevant documents including the STUN rfc
> then perhaps one can make some tentative suggestions.

All right, I found it.  Here, for the record:  http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Internet_ports_used_by_Ekiga

"If you are behind a router, Ekiga has extensive and improved NAT support thanks to STUN. In 99% of the cases, you do not have any configuration to do, and you can even be reachable from the outside without any port forwarding."
I'm part of the 99%.

That's good enough for me?  Is it wrong?  (I need a _concise_ statement, though, please.)

Thanks for your help, guys.