Re: [Ekiga-list] =?iso-8859-2?q?Ekiga_on_Ubuntu_using_DSL?=

> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 13:08:00 +1100
> From: mat101 <matthews632 netspace net au>
> Subject: Re: [Ekiga-list] Ekiga on Ubuntu using DSL
> 302G D-Link modem
> Thanks for the response Rob.
>
> kapetr also suggested that I try an iptel.org sip account
> with twinkle -
> it works well. The server-side STUN service of iptel.org
> may be the
> important factor that allows DSL modems to conduct
> a voip interaction.
> I'll try using the same sip account with Ekiga when
> time allows. Thanks
> for the advice.
>
> Cheers.

Hello,

The working of twinkle is NOT due to iptel workaround. Twinkle works
without problems with ANY account I have try, even with ekiga account.

The reason is simple - in twinkle is STUN support not buggy :-)
So I have NOT to make some port forwarding, ...
It just works, why twinkle send to the communication partner proper public
(from outside accesable) pair  IP/PORT resolved by STUN request/replay.
Thats all.

If ekiga would do the same, as it should, it wold be working too.

See my report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ekiga/+bug/517580

Check the wireshark output - see SDP in INVITE packet !

Ekiga works with only (really ONLY) iptel account and only when calling
something on iptel. To make call somewhere else is (of course) not possible.

BTW - the workaround by iptel I have described in previous post.

I have spend many hours in studying wireshark and twinkle logs, and I
99,999% sure, I'm right: Ekiga can't work behind comon ((port)restricted)
NAT.

--kapetr