Re: [Ekiga-list] Ekiga on Ubuntu using DSL 302G D-Link modem

Rob Owens wrote:
On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 09:09:29AM +0100, kapetr wrote:

The reason, why You can't communicate with Ekiga behind Yours D-link
is simple.

EKIGA IS BUGGY

I have report this Bug many times in many places.
I have also try to contact the author of Ekiga.

Unfortunately - I have get NO replay anytime !!!

The problem with Ekiga is, IT DO NOT WORK BEHIND NAT.

The use of STUN is broken:

Ekiga makes STUN request, but in INVITE (SDP section) send only discovered
public IP address, but the Port for RTM sends to the other side as the
local one, not that is reported by STUN replay !!

You can check it in wireshark - see the SIP INVITE packet.

I can NOT understand, how such significant Bug is ignored by developers
of Ekiga !!! And especially, why have I get no replays from them :-(

I can recommend You to use other client - Twinkle works fine.

--kapetr

I can't confirm what kapetr says here, but if it is true you may have
better luck with a SIP account from iptel.org.  You can use it with your
Ekiga software.  They claim to have a server-side workaround for the NAT
problem, without using STUN.  I briefly tested it and it seems to work.
Give it a shot.

-Rob