[Ekiga-list] Help Ekiga tried to erase my My Documents!

Hi all, hope someone can help me here...

System info:
Averatec 3250 laptop running Win XP Pro (with auto update enabled, so it is current)
Athlon XP-M 2.2 GHz CPU with 1 GB of RAM
80 GB HD with 24.5 GB free when I downloaded Ekiga
Thunderbird, Firefox and AVG (background) were running when I downloaded Ekiga this morning from the Windows XP link on the Ekiga.org homepage

What happened:
I clicked on the Windows XP download link on the ekiga.org homepage to get Ekiga for Windows. The download took approximately 4 minutes and appeared to proceed normally. I then ran the install wizard for the GTK Runtime environment and Ekiga, selecting the default options at each step, except that I unchecked the option to install a, Ekiga shortcut on my desktop (I like a clean desktop).

The only odd thing I noticed during the install was that the install wizard wanted to install the Ekiga program files in: C:\Documents and Settings\Stan\My Documents\

I found that odd, but decided to let it proceed. In any case, the wizard stepped through to completion and then offered to close the wizard and open Ekiga, to which I clicked yes.

Then nothing happened, except that my computer's HD light lit up for several seconds. Thinking the program may have launched its window under my email and browser, I minimized them, but found nothing underneath them.

I then clicked Start -> Programs -> Ekiga (it was there) and clicked on the program icon. Again, the HD light lit up for several seconds, but nothing occurred on screen.

At that point I decided that allowing the program to install in My Documents had not been a good idea, so uninstalled the GTK Runtime environment and then uninstalled Ekiga using the uninstall link in Start -> Programs -> Ekiga.

The uninstaller appeared to run normally, except that it continued to delete files within My Documents. At first I was unconcerned because I had let the program install files there, but the uninstaller just kept on deleting files long after any reasonable program should have completed its task. Looking more closely at the files being deleted, the uninstaller appeared to be uninstalling every file in My Documents.

I tried to cancel the uninstaller, but the cancel button was grayed out, as were the Minimize-Maximize-Stop buttons at top right. In the end I unplugged the computer from the wall and pulled the battery to stop the computer.

After rebooting I see that my C drive is now showing 32 GB free, implying that 6.5 GB of My Documents files were deleted. Thinking that they may have been moved to the Recycle bin, I checked there, but nothing was listed. They are simply gone.

I am going off now to find a lost file recovery program, but wanted to let you know what happened in hopes that you can fix the issue for me and other Win XP users.

Thank you,

Stan