Re: [Ekiga-list] Ekliga Encryption.

--- On Sun, 12/26/10, Stuart D. Gathman <stuart gathman org> wrote:

> From: Stuart D. Gathman <stuart gathman org>
> Subject: Re: [Ekiga-list] Ekliga Encryption.
> Date: Sunday, December 26, 2010, 9:37 PM
> On Sun, 26 Dec 2010, Sergei Steshenko
> wrote:
>
> >> However, if you and the person at the other end
> are
> >> able to install and configure openvpn, then just
> connect to
> >> them
> >> directly over the vpn tunnel, using the private IP
> if you
> >> don't have DNS
> >
> > I am not sure OpenVPN works in case _both_ parties are
> behind a firewall.
> >
> > If I understand correctly, if both parties are behind
> a firewall, a STUN
> > server is necessary, and even with STUN server success
> depends on firewall
> > type.
>
> OpenVPN works perfectly well behind firewall - you can use
> any port.  It also
> works behind NAT if either party is knowlegeable enough to
> inform the
> other of their (temporary) public IP.
That's the point. To know global IP is not a problem.

However, the port may be a problem. For example, in my case the following
topology is used:

cable_modem <-> VOIP_modem_also_DHCP_server_also_NAT <-> hub <-> my_computers.
.

The point/problem is I have no root access to

VOIP_modem_also_DHCP_server_also_NAT

, i.e. I can't assign a port of my liking to VPN traffic.

Regards,
  Sergei.