Re: [Ekiga-list] Theora video freezes on Ekiga 3.2.7 Beta (Windows XP )

On 14 Dec, 2010,at 07:36 AM, Eugen Dedu <Eugen Dedu pu-pm univ-fcomte fr> wrote:

On 09/12/10 04:42, Dave Koelmeyer wrote:

> On 08 Dec, 2010,at 05:05 AM, Eugen Dedu<Eugen Dedu pu-pm univ-fcomte fr> wrote:
>>
>> Please wait a bit, until 3.3.0 gets out, to test it and inform us if the
>> freeze still appears.
>
> Hi Eugen,
>
> Will do :) I have shot a video of the behaviour along with a description here if
> it helps at all:
>
> http://www.davekoelmeyer.co.nz/ekigatheora.html
>
> This should remove any doubt as to how the freezing is triggered.

I have put a Windows executable of pre-3.3.0 Ekiga at
http://eugen.dedufree.fr/ekiga-setup-3.3.0-git-852_g1f9a30d.exe so that
you test if your freeze still appears (you can build it yourself if you
prefer: take unstable from
http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Building_Ekiga_for_Windows)

Thanks very much Eugen. I have installed your .exe on the system in question (Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit).

I don't believe it has resolved the freezing issue, but I have made the following observations.

The freezing is much, much more easy to induce with low "Maximum video bitrate" settings in the Ekiga client. All my tweaking involved adjusting the bitrate, while leaving the "Picture Quality" slider parked at maximum frame rate (i.e all the way to the right).

1) With "Maximum video bitrate" set to 64Kb/s, the video will freeze with very slight movement, more often than not it will freeze as soon as the call is connected.

2) With "Maximum video bitrate" set to 1024Kb/s, I can reproduce the behaviour exhibited in my original video above, as that was what the settings were when the video was recorded.

3) With "Maximum video bitrate" set to a high number, e.g 3072Kb/s, then it becomes very difficult to freeze the video deliberately; lots of flailing around in front of the camera to induce a freeze (it can still be done however).

Settings above ~4000Kb/s seem to revert to the behaviour observed when set to ~1000Kb/s however.

On the same system incidentally I've noticed the following regarding the .exe, not related to the video issue;

- Ekiga can only be run once; subsequent relaunches result in the application crashing on launch. To resolve this one has to delete the ekiga.conf file and re-run the setup wizard (this is only good for one launch of Ekiga however)

- Ekiga will crash if the user attempts to enter the preferences menu while a call is in progress.

Thanks for your help with this :)

Cheers,
Dave