[Ekiga-list] ekiga problem on 3g connection (ubuntu 9.10)

When I attempt to make a call with Ekiga, I get no audio and am immediately connected.  I would like to use Ekiga as the client for SIP accounts with two providers: sipgate.com (US) and localphone.com.  I'm running 32-bit ubuntu 9.10.  My only internet connection is 3g mobile broadband.  In case it's relevant, I'm living in mexico and using Telcel as my 3g provider.

I've read the Ekiga wiki on nat traversal.  I don't understand all of the information provided there, but it does not seem to provide a solution for me.  I'm behind a nat firewall with a private IP address.  Ekiga identifies this as a symmetric NAT.  Obviously, I have no ability to configure port forwarding or otherwise alter the NAT, since it is administered by my ISP.

The puzzling part for me is that using a different softphone on windoze 7 (X-Lite), I can make and receive calls through localphone.  I would very much prefer to use Ekiga on Ubuntu.  Since the above mentioned package of software+OS+VSP works behind my ISP's NAT firewall, I'm hoping it is possible to configure Ekiga+Ubuntu to also work with localphone on this connection.  Suggestions?  If it's not possible, that answer is also helpful to me - I won't spend more time pursuing this and will look into alternatives.

Thanks,
Dave

PS I am not very knowledgeable about networking or linux, but am learning.  I'm willing to read other sources and follow step-by-step instructions.