Re: [Ekiga-list] Ekiga and Gigaset IP-phones

Hi,

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 5:07 PM, Olivier N.
<onemailid4mailinglists edpnet be> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a total newbie to VoIP.
> I've just bought a Gigaset S685IP
> and created an Ekiga account.
>
> So Ekiga accounts are alphanumeric addresses but
> my Gigaset only deals with numbers, stars* and sharps#.
>
> How can I call a fellow Ekiga account from my IP-phone?
> Has each Ekiga account an all-number equivalent?

There used to be such a feature but according to [1] it is not
available any more.

> If not, is there a way to map calling numbers to ekiga accounts
> in a similar way as explained in the section "Now to setup Skype users you
> want to call" of this page:
> http://www.mhspot.com/sts/siptosis_ata_howto.html

I looked at the page and it seems to involve setting up SIP to Skype
gateway and adding explicit mapping for each SIP address you want to
call. If that's OK for you, you can similarly set up Asterisk or
OpenSIPS/Kamailio to do the mapping. Asterisk is a full-fledged PBX so
it might be a bit overkill for this purpose but I find it more "newbie
friendly" than OpenSIPS.

HTH
--
Ian