Re: [Ekiga-list] Ekiga 3.x compile - lesson learned

All,

Possibly for beginners only, please excuse the basic info contained herein.

After beating my head flat trying to get Ekiga 3.0.2 to compile on
opensuse 10.3, I posted one query to this list.

Rather than giving me a complete answer, Eugen kindly pointed me in the
right direction.

I downloaded the following 3 source packages: from the ftp.gnome.org
site: (ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/ekiga/)

opal-3.4.4
ptlib-2.4.4
ekiga-3.0.2

configure/make/make install ptlib
configure/make/make install opal

ekiga compiled fine, but when I executed ekiga, received the following
error:

/usr/bin/ekiga: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libedataserver-1.2.so.9:
undefined symbol: g_once_init_enter_impl

Eugen pointed me to links that suggested this might be caused by
duplicate library files.

True enough, I found duplicates of libedataserver-1.2.so.9

/usr/lib/libedataserver-1.2.so.9 -> libedataserver-1.2.so.9.1.0
/usr/lib/libedataserver-1.2.so.9.1.0

/opt/gnome/lib/libedataserver-1.2.so.9 -> libedataserver-1.2.so.9.1.0
/opt/gnome/lib/libedataserver-1.2.so.9.1.0

ldd /usr/lib/libedataserver-1.2.so.9.1.0

shows a huge list of libraries, but many were listed in /opt/gnome/lib

linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
        libbonobo-2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libbonobo-2.so.0 (0xb7ea4000)
        libbonobo-activation.so.4 => /usr/lib/libbonobo-activation.so.4
(0xb7e8e000)
        libgmodule-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so.0 (0xb7e89000)
        libgconf-2.so.4 => /usr/lib/libgconf-2.so.4 (0xb7e57000)

I verified a huge number of libs were in both directories.

Presuming one or the other was one too many (almost every file was a
duplicate - same versions) I moved off all the duplicates from
/opt/gnome/lib to /tmp, recompiled ekiga after "make clean", and then
launched ekiga -

the dreaded "invalid schema error" came up:

Ekiga got an invalid value for the GConf key
"/apps/ekiga/general/gconf_test_age".

It probably means that your GConf schemas have not been correctly
installed or the that permissions are not correct.

The usual fix:
# export GCONF_CONFIG_SOURCE=`gconftool-2 --get-default-source`
# gconftool-2 --makefile-install-rule /etc/opt/gconf/schemas/ekiga.schemas

Did not work. digging around a few Internet posts made reference to
gconf schemas being in one set of directories, but ekiga looking in
another. The reason was that the above command was installing into
/etc/gconf, but ekiga was looking elsewhere.

In the ekiga Makefile:
GCONF_SCHEMA_CONFIG_SOURCE='xml::/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.schemas'

I found that for whatever reason, my system has them in /etc/opt/gnome/gconf

After manually ensuring that /etc/gconf had all possible gconf files,
re-ran the age problem fix, and it finally worked.

System is basically 10.3 "out of the box" with all up to date patches,
etc... no idea why it seems these gnome-related libs/gconf stuff ended
up in such a fashion (note - I don't use gnome, and probably never
noticed ?)

So what did I learn:

Avoid duplicate libs (somehow i already knew that)
Avoid duplicate gconf directories (somehow i already knew that)
ldd command can show which libs are being loaded by an executable
any gconf-dependent application issues - check those schema files
I like 2.0.12 far better than 3.x so far...

Hope this helps someone else.

Best regards,

Thanks to the ekiga team for a great product