Re: [Ekiga-list] poor quality voice in ekiga

2009/6/5 Darren Albers <dalbers gmail com>:
>> This isn't a codec issue.

Two weeks ago I also got problems with sound quality, but I think it
was bad coded I was using or maybe as You suggested something with
alsa(that got upgraded in a while time), but now it works great with
Speex 16 mHz and I don't really need more, I can hear everything and
quality is brilliant.

I am using now
libasound2   1.0.20
ekiga 3.2.1
opal 3.6.1
libpt2.6.1-plugins-alsa  2.6.1

What I can suggest and I do is try to stay away from Pulse Audio which
imho is not mature and break things badly... Removing it 2 mouths ago
from my girlfriends Ubuntu solved all sound problems for her which
were quality and huge delays. But it was before we switched to Ekiga.

Going back to Ekiga I had problems with video quality, but I solved
that installing h264 and forcing it instead of h261 and its all
working great now. Theora quality + half bandwitch usage.

Just use this combination Speex(16 mHz) and H264 and welcome to free world :)

Thanks Ekiga! :)