Re: [Ekiga-list] Ekiga contact presence

Mateusz Kaduk wrote:
Hi,

I am on Debian (sid) still using 3.2.1~git20090515. I would like to
know if this issue was fixed in upcomming 3.2.5.
The problem is with contact availability status it gets rarely updated if ever.

How does ekiga server determinate if user is still online? Are there
any ping-pong requests send ?
My girlfriend turns off ekiga, but I still see her online, when I come
back I try calling, after restarting ekiga this status is updated.

How long it takes to update user status in a normal working case ? Is
it a bug or just design ?

If I remember correctly, when a person quits ekiga, there is no update sent on the server. However, the server (or the client) periodically (15 min I think) sends info to remote party about the presence. So, when a person quits ekiga, it will take at most 15 min to update his presence.

Quitting ekiga does not send an update because people wanted that ekiga finishes fast. I still think that it is better that ekiga sends an update and waits for the answer, even if it takes a 1-3 seconds. The proper fix would be to hide that from the user, for ex. when the user quits the GUI finishes, but not the program.