[Ekiga-list] Someone please get E3 into highly used distros, especially KUbutu 8.4, thanks :) was-Re: Distributions available

1) Wow, Eugen.Dedu - that's a great tool/list!

2) Alan - I agree with you 100%.  E3 is simply unuseful to the _users_
if it isn't available to them.  I'd think the project would be much
better off the project's leaders ensured that an E3 version was promptly
made available to be installed, & made use of, by _users_.  E3 isn't
filling it's potential if it isn't being _used_!  :)

Personally, being a long time KDE user, (& 10 year linux user, & maybe
4-5 yr Ubuntu user), I use KUbuntu 8.4, cause I want a non-KDE-beta-sw
system (hence no KU 8.10 for me) & that's what I recommend to other
users.  I suspect there are many others using KU 8.4, not 8.10, and
until such time as KDE 4 stabilizes, that is likely to continue.

Since that platform is likely a large quantity of users, I think it is
obvious that the Ekiga project would be well served by Ek persons who
know something about compiling, library dependencies, Distro management,
& backports, putting out the effort to do whatever it takes to get
whatever it takes to make E3 easily (ie apt) installable on KU 8.4, at
the minimum (along with other popular distros).

That is a hearty _suggestion_  :)   not a denigration of Ek's leaders -
I'm presuming most here are volunteers, & I only suggest, not tell,
volunteers how to spend their time.   :)   [& thanks for all the sw :)]

[If someone can get NetBSD, Solaris & MSWindows versions available,
can't _someone!!_ quickly get an Ubuntu backport available?????!!!!!]

This guy has a solution for 8.10:  [see end of this email for basics]
How install Ekiga 3.0.1 on Ubuntu 8.10?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?s=3e827289947200322293759188346591&t=1016174

So, I'd have to make time to
1) post to that thread asking "howto for KU 8.4" & hope someone figures
it out & responds, or
2) start another thread with that title,  & hope someone figures it out
& responds, or
3) investigate how to find then find then communicate to the Ub
backports team to request it be made available in KU 8.4, etc etc etc.

Point: I'd have a much bigger learning curve than E's developers, it'd
take a lot of time, & be much slower, I suspect, than if the E project
leaders, who are sw _developers_, did the (I suspect) _minor_ learning
curve necessary to get the distro packagers/backporters to get E3 into
the most highly _used_ distros, ie to the largest groups of _users_, so
the latest E sw could begin doing the world some more _good/use_.  :)

===================
How install Ekiga 3.0.1 on Ubuntu 8.10?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?s=3e827289947200322293759188346591&t=1016174

In order install Ekiga 3.0.1 at first we must install libopal3.4.2 and
libpt2.4.2.
This libraries we can get from http://packages.ubuntu.com.
All this packages are for ubuntu 9.04 and all this we can download and
install on ubutnu 8.10. Only we can not install libpt2.4.2-plugins-alsa,
because this package is depends from "libasound2 ( >> 1.0.18 )" but
ubunut 8.10 has "libasound2 ( 1.0.17 )"...

In control file of libpt2.4.2-plugins-alsa package i was replace
"libasound2 ( >> 1.0.18 )" with "libasound2 ( >> 1.0.17 )" and then
install modified libpt2.4.2-plugins-alsa package and all others - after
that I ascertained that all work fine...

I was wrote the script which download depends packages and then install.
This script also configure libpt2.4.2-plugins-alsa package and then
install that.

   1. Download script to home directory and open terminal...
   2.
      Code:

      chmod 755 install-ekiga.sh

   3.
      Code:

      sudo ./install-ekiga.sh

I hope these help someone

I am sorry my english is not so good
Attached Images
File Type: jpg  Eliga3.0.1.jpg (113.9 KB, 39 views)
Attached Files
File Type: sh   install-ekiga.sh (8.6 KB, 50 views)
Last edited by ice-boy; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:09 AM..