Re: [Ekiga-list] Re (2): Maybe was asked lot of time... what is the best platform for ekiga?

On Fri, Dec  4, 2009 at 07:48 (-0800), peasthope shaw ca wrote:

> Folk,

>> Apparently, it does not respect any configuration method other than
>> gconf-editor.

> Configuration _via_ plain text is easily understood and
> allows automated processing.  Twinkle, for example,
> has ~/.twinkle/peter.ab containing lines such as this.
> Peter||Easthope|sip:17785886232|

> The file is easily manipulated with an editor, a regular
> expression tool or something more sophisticated.  It
> is a well established and powerful means of configuration.

> Regards,             ... Peter E.

Gosh, what a radical view.

I mean really, what sort of twisted thinking would lead someone to use
a simply-formatted plain text file when instead you can have 423
separate config files (in 47 different directories) controlling
the same thing?  Where's the fun in that?  And without XML, how would
you achieve all the redundant verbosity?  Where is the wonderful and
gratuitous complexity?

				Jim

P.S. For the humour-impaired: I'm kidding, I would vastly prefer one
or two plain text files for most/all of the config info.

P.S.2: As a slackware user, I have had to compile gnomish programs
with minimal gconf support for the past few years (since Slackware
dropped gnome a while back).  I can happily say that the robustness of
said programs has increased noticeably, as opposed to before when I
used to suffer mysterious errors because, apparently, gconfd was
having a bad day.  As if I could care.