Re: [Ekiga-list] Dont need ekiga, got vln

jamesmikedupont googlemail com wrote:
Hi guys,
it turns out I dont need ekiga,
now I have my own video streaming solution with vlc,
and it just works!

http://rdfintrospector2.blogspot.com/2009/04/firewire-vlc-streaming.html

Glad to see that it works for you. Your solution and ekiga calls are however not really the same thing.

For ex., your solution is unidirectional, ekiga is bidirectional. ekiga has presence support, vlc not. ekiga can call classical phones, vlc not. There is no echo cancelling. Etc. etc.

On the other hand, vlc knows many codecs and many resolutions (not sure though). You can save streams. You can broadcast (directly, maybe in ekiga too?) and so on.