[Ekiga-list] No sound in or out

In response to my post last week that I could not get sound in or out on Ekiga, and that it told me to check to see what, if anything, was using the port assigned to Ekiga, I was told to check the port and to open ports 5000 through 5006. However, I was not told how to do that. I am not technically adept (which means I probably should not be using ubuntu in the first place). I need to be given step-by-step directions on everything. I hope these can be provided. Thanks.