Re: [Ekiga-list] a few problems with 3.0.1

Hi,

Julien Puydt wrote:
Palo S. a écrit :
Hi everybody,

I have compiled and tested 3.0.1 today and here is a few problems/comments/questions that I have.
The test machine was Fedora 9, 2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686
kernel.

1. My webcam does not work with Ekiga 3 although it
works just fine with Ekiga 2 (and works fine with
basically any other program I tried - mplayer, vlc).
It is Labtec Webcam Pro using the gspca driver. I
think that the problem is that Ekiga detects the
device as V4L2, however it is V4L. It does not work
as V4L2 under other programs too. With Ekiga 2 I
could choose V4L or V4L2 as video plugin, however with Ekiga 3 this does not seem to be possible anymore and the automatic detection only provides V4L2... Any way to force V4L?
(error message:
Error while accessing video device /dev/video0
There was an error while opening the device. ...)

Did you try installing the ptlib-plugins-v4l (or some similar name) package which provides the V4L plugin driver?

Note that v4l is disabled by default in ptlib. To enable it, execute "./configure --enable-v4l' in ptlib.

2. The presence indication does not work for any
of my ekiga contacts, including echo test and
conference room - all are displayed without any
presence indication (ie the same as \"IPBX\" contacts on this screenshot: http://blog.ekiga.net/?p=61)

Are your registered to ekiga.net ?

Since about 3 weeks I have the same problem: all the contact indicators are greyed out. I thought that it is because ekiga developers are working on ekiga.net.

3. Microphone does not work with \"Default (PTLIB/ALSA)\",
however it works with \"HDA Intel (PTLIB/ALSA)\" specified...

Then that works...

4. At opal compilation, there is a new dependency
which is not taken into account by configure,
namely swig (compilation stopped with an error message
and continued after I installed swig - so no big problem
but it should be checked by configure I believe?)

No idea on this one.

I ran into the same problem. You can uninstall swig and execute once: "touch src/java/java_swig_wrapper.c". I will create a bug report for this.

5. This one is just an information if somebody gets into the same issue: originally I reproducibly got a segfault if I wanted to make a call and the following error message appeared if ekiga --sync was run (followed by an attempt to make a call): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_drawable_get_depth: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)\' failed It turned out that this was an issue between GTK+ and KDE4 desktop efffects - after KDE4 desktop
effects were turned off, the problem disappared.

Oohhh... that is annoying. :-/

6. Although I did not get a chance to use video, I have noticed that the \"side by side\" view option is no longer available. Is there a plan to include it
again? Basically all people I talked to prefer
this over PIP/no local because one can both see
himself and it does not cut from the remote at
the same time - for some it was one of the \"killer features\" of Ekiga, I believe!

Ok

I would be glad for any comments. Also, could a developer please let me know if (s)he thinks that any of these should be filed as a bug?

I'm annoyed by point 5 -- but I'm not sure the bug is on our side.