Re: [Ekiga-list] a few problems with 3.0.1

Palo S. a écrit :
Hi everybody,

I have compiled and tested 3.0.1 today and here is a few problems/comments/questions that I have.
The test machine was Fedora 9, 2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686
kernel.

1. My webcam does not work with Ekiga 3 although it
works just fine with Ekiga 2 (and works fine with
basically any other program I tried - mplayer, vlc).
It is Labtec Webcam Pro using the gspca driver. I
think that the problem is that Ekiga detects the
device as V4L2, however it is V4L. It does not work
as V4L2 under other programs too. With Ekiga 2 I
could choose V4L or V4L2 as video plugin, however with Ekiga 3 this does not seem to be possible anymore and the automatic detection only provides V4L2... Any way to force V4L?
(error message:
Error while accessing video device /dev/video0
There was an error while opening the device. ...)

Did you try installing the ptlib-plugins-v4l (or some similar name) package which provides the V4L plugin driver?

2. The presence indication does not work for any
of my ekiga contacts, including echo test and
conference room - all are displayed without any
presence indication (ie the same as \"IPBX\" contacts on this screenshot: http://blog.ekiga.net/?p=61)

Are your registered to ekiga.net ?

3. Microphone does not work with \"Default (PTLIB/ALSA)\",
however it works with \"HDA Intel (PTLIB/ALSA)\" specified...

Then that works...

4. At opal compilation, there is a new dependency
which is not taken into account by configure,
namely swig (compilation stopped with an error message
and continued after I installed swig - so no big problem
but it should be checked by configure I believe?)

No idea on this one.

5. This one is just an information if somebody gets into the same issue: originally I reproducibly got a segfault if I wanted to make a call and the following error message appeared if ekiga --sync was run (followed by an attempt to make a call):
Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_drawable_get_depth: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)\' failed
It turned out that this was an issue between GTK+ and KDE4 desktop efffects - after KDE4 desktop
effects were turned off, the problem disappared.

Oohhh... that is annoying. :-/

6. Although I did not get a chance to use video, I have noticed that the \"side by side\" view option is no longer available. Is there a plan to include it
again? Basically all people I talked to prefer
this over PIP/no local because one can both see
himself and it does not cut from the remote at
the same time - for some it was one of the \"killer features\" of Ekiga, I believe!

Ok

I would be glad for any comments. Also, could a developer please let me know if (s)he thinks that any of these should be filed as a bug?

I'm annoyed by point 5 -- but I'm not sure the bug is on our side.

Snark on #ekiga