Re: [Ekiga-list] Registration failed :(

On Sunday 23 November 2008 17:10:39 Damien Sandras wrote:
> Le dimanche 23 novembre 2008 à 12:40 +0000, Bob Williams a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm new to this list, and I'm having trouble getting Ekiga to work.
> >
> > My Setup:
> >
> > I have a Vigor 2800v ADSL 2/2+ VoIP Router. It has two ports for
> > hardware phones. When I got the router, I registered with Draytel.org
> > and have been using this account successfully for several years. I
> > have credit with them for making PC-to-phone calls (or, more
> > accurately, router-to-phone, in this case, as my PC is not involved).
> >
> > Moving to a softphone setup:
> >
> > As I have a webcam, I thought it would be cool to try out Ekiga, so
> > that I could include a video link. I downloaded and installed Ekiga
> > 2.0.12 (the version currently available on the openSUSE
> > repositories). At the configuration druid, I skipped the step where I
> > am invited to sign up for a SIP account with Ekiga.net as I already
> > had an account. Indeed, at the next step, Ekiga interrogated my NAT
> > router and pulled all the necessary details of my account with
> > Draytel. I can't remember, but I may have had to re-enter the
> > password, but in no time my Ekiga softphone was registered with
> > Draytel. However, it wouldn't connect with any of the test numbers,
> > and didn't allow me to use the credit I had with Draytel to call
> > landline phones.
> >
> > My next step was to subscribe to Diamondcard to get $10 credit for
> > use with Ekiga. This all went well, they accepted my money, and gave
> > me an account number and password to use. I even had a phone call
> > from a nice guy in the USA (I live in UK), to verify that's what I
> > wanted to do :)
> >
> > Still no go! Ekiga reports "Registration failed"
> >
> > So, maybe it will work if I have an Ekiga.net account. I jumped
> > through all the hoops, got myself an ekiga.net identity, only to get
> > the same result - "Registration failed".
> >
> > I now have a nice little program which connects to my soundcard and
> > webcam (I was pleasantly impressed with how easy the installation
> > was, compared with Skype for linux, which refused to play with my
> > soundcard), has three accounts loaded, one of which is registered,
> > but unusable, and two of which won't register.
> >
> > BTW, I chose not to use a STUN router, as the original, functioning
> > Draytel account, which uses a phone handset, works without it.
> >
> > Any suggestions, please?
>
> And if you use a STUN router, does it work beter or is it teh same
> problem ?

I'm trying that, at the moment. I've re-run the configuration druid, this
time saying yes to the STUN server question. The ekiga.net account has
been stuck (busy) on "Registering" for the past half-hour.

I've just looked in the Preferences. Under SIP Settings > Misc Settings it
has listed

Outbound Proxy: draytel.org:5060
Forward URL: sip:853290

These obviously relate to my Draytel account, and could explain why the
program has hung. What should I enter for Outbound Proxy? Presumably
ekiga.net but is it the same port number?

I realise that the Forward URL field requires my new ekiga.net ID.

Many thanks for help, and also to ael who replied to my original posting
off-list. If you're there, ael, I prefer to keep it all on-list, as
someone else may learn from my problems :)

Bob
--
Registered Linux User #463880		FSFE Member #1300
GPG-FP: A6C1 457C 6DBA B13E 5524 F703 D12A FB79 926B 994E