Re: [Ekiga-list] Privacy policy of Ekiga

D Webb wrote:
> rules. So the comparison with information that is shouted in a stadium
> is not right here. It's also not a good attitude of the citizens of a
> country to just accept that everyone can violate your privacy. Citizens
> should put effort in making good rules for privacy or to protect it.
> Privacy is a human right of a democracy.

Right, wrong, the law and self-preservation are 4 different things with
infinite permutations of interpretation. Please consider thinking of your
privacy much like your bicycle, you from the Netherlands. You will want
laws to punish bicycle thieves AND a strong lock. The law exists because
there are people who do not follow it. I expect privacy laws and the
corresponding violators to co-exist. I do not see privacy statements
helping much.

Dee

I think you're right on this point, although Ekiga should, in my opinion, do there best to protect my information against potential violators....

But it seems that you not really understand what I was trying to say. It's not only about protecting information against violators outside, but as a user I want to know the policy of* Ekiga itself.* What are they doing with my information. That's what I want to know before I will use a service like Ekiga. And I think they should put there policy, like many other comparable services, on there website.

Privacy for a internet service like Ekiga is an important issue. That's why I was a little surprised by the reaction of developer Damien (with respect), who said that he finds writing a privacy policy boring or hasn't enough time for it. I think if you're offering a service like this and like to have a lot of users, the first thing you should do is doing your best to protect your users against violations of all kind and give them information about how you deal with the privacy of your users. That's at least the right your users have.

I like to help spreading the word about Ekiga, but I'd like to do that with the knowledge that the service has a good and open privacy policy.

Kind regards,

Dirk