Re: [Ekiga-list] Privacy policy of Ekiga

Damien Sandras wrote:
Le lundi 17 mars 2008 à 19:58 +0100, schoappied a écrit :
Damien Sandras wrote:
Hi,

Le lundi 17 mars 2008 à 19:41 +0100, schoappied a écrit :
Hi,

I'm a skype user, but I'm thinking about to try Ekiga.

What I need to know is the privacy policy of Ekiga. I'm very surprised that there's nothing about it on the website and also nothing to set up in the settings of Ekiga. Even skype has it...

Isn't necessary to have very clear rules about the privacy of your users? And shouldn't those rules be on your website?

I hope you will be able to point me to the privacy statements of Ekiga or otherwise You will take this subject very seriously.

Are you talking about ekiga or ekiga.net ?
I think both are really important, is it not?

I do not understand what kind of user privacy you want to see stated
related to ekiga. Do you mean encryption ?
Damien,

As a 'user' of a internetservice, like internet chat or phone, I want to know which information will be gathered and stored by the service. If they use information, what for and if there giving or selling information to third party's. Also I like to know how they protect there users against violations of privacy.

Do you store for example the chat or call sessions? Do you store who call who and when? And if so, how can we as users delete 'history' or change the setting so that that sort of information will not be stored.

It is not a specific distrust of Ekiga, but in my opinion every internet service should be protecting there users for misuse or privacy violations and they should be open about there privacy rules. I think it would be good if Ekiga can ensure there users that there privacy will not be violated by the service and that Ekiga shall do there best to protect there users against it. A sort of statement.

As a user I can read that statement/ policy and can decide whether or not I will use that service.

Here are some examples:

http://www.skype.com/legal/privacy/general/
http://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx
http://www.voipbuster.com/en/privacy.html
http://www.digium.com/en/company/view-policy.php?id=Privacy-Policy

I think your service and software will be more 'open' if you're open, honest and clear about this, for every (potential) user.

Best regards,

Dirk