Re: [Ekiga-list] configuration

Thanks for your suggestions, I believe you have grasped the essence of the problem but perhaps there are one or two other points I should clarify;

1. It is my understanding that virtually all fixed broadband lines in the UK are via one of two routes;

either

Attached to the cable TV network where much faster download rates are possible ( and I know that upload rates are at least 384k ) This option is not available locally as there is no local cable network.

or

Via standard copper telephone lines where the maximum achievable download rate is ~8meg. Unfortunately, effectively all of the copper network is owned by BT which once used to be the state monopoly telephone provider (been privatised ~20years) thus any ISP provider can only offer a service which includes and uses a BT telephone line ( and they think M$ is bad!) I have not gone into the subject exhaustively, but my friendly local BT network engineer ( well fishing buddy actually) tell me there's no real way of getting BT to modify the upload rates and in any event, they would prefer to sell you their own garbage videophone package and so have no commercial interest in upping speeds.

If I am wrong in the above assessment, please let me know as I would drop the monolithic BT for a better service at the first possible opportunity!

2. The hardware currently in use is

end 1. AMD 2.4gHz semperon + 512 meg ram + Philips webcam + win 2K pro sp4 (but can quickly add linux if deemed advantageous) However, whatever I do at this end, it must be suitable for use by a partially sighted 87 year old with no knowledge of computers other than switch on and switch off.

end 2. Packard bell dual core Pentium 1.6 gHz laptop with 1 gig of ram and a built in Bison? webcam - this webcam is not recognised by Linux. OS = xp sp2 or Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon.

Thus for the moment anyway, webcam/video driver issues seem to dictate a windows environment although if making this system work correctly means the purchase of a couple of new webcams - so be it! My reluctance to buy "better" webcams is that the newer they are, the higher the resolution seems to be and the more bandwidth that is then required!

As for the mechanics of packet traffic through the internet, I must confess I've never really looked into it. If there is a way of forcing higher priority and share of available bandwidth, please point me to a site where I can read up on it.

As a final point, Ive just received an email from Damien on the subject of Ekiga 3.00 and I need to read this thoroughly and check out the repositories before doing anything drastic. But thanks once again for the suggestions I may well come back to you for more information

Regards John H