Re: [Ekiga-list] Placing calls

Edward Dunagin wrote:
> Thanks Kevin,
>
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 3:12 PM, Kévin REDON <kevredon gmail com> wrote:
>>
>>  Hi,
>>
>>  to test if ekiga is working :
>>  - -registration hasto be successful (see in account window) :
>
>  I have an SIP address, so registration worked.

I didn't meant create and account, but get ekiga connected (registrated)
to the server
- -in the middle of ekiga it says : "registrated accounts : x"
- -at the bottom of ekiga it says if registration succeded or not
- -in "Edit->Accounts" you can see the status of registration

>>  (des)activate the STUN if troubles
>
> I will try this later.
Activating it is often the better solution (edit->prefrences;network
setting -> NAT transversal method -> STUN (the stun server being
stun.ekiga.net by default, but others work too)

>>  - -test your sound device : with the Ubuntu Volume Control, unmute mic
>
> I still get very little sound.
Set the level meter at the max, and often in the options (edit->pref of
volume controler, there is a Mic Boost (+20dB)).
Sometimes the mic volume is very weak because it uses the internal mic
(it there is one) instead of the mic you plug in

>>  - -make test calls on 500 ekiga net
>
> This worked ok. It said I was connected and gave stuff at the bottom,
>
> OUT: PCMU/H261
> IN: PCMU/H261
>
> But this has no meaning to me.
This means it's connected to the server, it's a good beginning ;)
in the audio tab of ekiga there are level meters for speakers and mic.
This could help you

>>  - -check all the audio codecs
>
> How do I do this?

(edit->pref;audio codecs;check all the boxes on the left to activates
all the codecs)

>>  - -you can see if you are on-line (registration successed) in the ekiga
>>  white pages (log on your ekiga account on http://www.ekiga.net)
>
> This logon worked ok.
>
>>  - -you can also let an ekiga friend (on ask ML/IRC) to call you (then
>>  forward UDP ports 5060 and 8000-8005 if you have a NAT routeur; it's
>>  better then STUN)
>
> What does "on ask ML/IRC" mean?

ML = Mailing List; IRC = IRC chat, server : irc.gnome.org, channel : #ekiga