[Ekiga-list] No Echo Test response: STUN Problem with Thomson ST585 V6 ADSL router

Hi,

I have been trying to get Ekiga working on a Fedora 8 based system.
I am using Ekiga 3.0.1 build from a Fedora 10 source RPM.
This is being used at home through a ST585 router in NAT configuration.

When ever I tried to run Ekiga I would get the error message in a dialog
window:

"Ekiga did not manage to configure your network settings automatically. You can
still use it, but you need to configure your network settings manually.
Please see http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Enable_port_forwarding_manually for
instructions"

After this the echo test would fail in the receiving direction. I tried to
enable port forwarding on my ST585 router to no avail.

Strangely it was working at work were we use the same ST585 router, but without
NAT enabled (A Linux box does the firewall).

After a lot of playing around I used gconf-editor to clear the "stun_server"
entry for Ekiga. This cured the problem.
What is strange is that Ekiga now also works without the port forwarding
enabled in the router ...

It appears that the ST585 is doing something special when it sees SIP protocol
requests and forwarding the ports automatically, but the use of the STUN system
messes this up.

If this is the case, It would be useful to be able to disable STUN support in
the standard user preferences dialogs of the Ekiga app and to note this in the
error dialog window. Also I guess it may be possible to fix the STUN support if
there is an issue here ...

Cheers

Terry